For my first recipe, I worked with my nanny, Cindy, in coming up with this dish the whole family can enjoy. The kimchi gives the fried rice its taste while the sweet potato adds a nice sweetness. If you want a way to incorporate vegetables to a meal, you can’t get better than fried rice.
Below is a funny picture of Logan, trying to distract us from cooking. Do your kids do this…do they give a gentle nudge to play with them?
Now, let’s get down to business.
In a separate bowl, whip two eggs together. In a separate pan, heat 1/2 tbs of olive oil and then scramble the eggs.
Now turn the heat down to low and add the eggs to the vegetable mixture. Add 3 cups of white rice, soy sauce, sesame oil and 2 slices of American cheese.
Voila! You now have a delicious, family friendly meal.
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 sweet potato (or 1 cup of chopped sweet potatoes)
1 small carrot (or 1/3 cup of chopped carrots)
1 potato (or 1 cup of chopped potatoes)
3/4 cup of water
2 small onions (or 1 cup of chopped onions)
1 small squash (or 1/3 cup of chopped squash)
1/2 cup of kimchi
1 tbsp of butter
1.5 tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 tsp of sesame oil
2 slices of American cheese
1. Chop sweet potato, potato and carrot into small pieces.
2. Heat the pan and then add 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.
3. Add all of the vegetables into the pan.
4. Add water to the vegetables and sauté over medium heat. Stir occasionally.
5. Chop onions and squash into small pieces.
6. Add the onions and squash to the pan and lower heat slightly, stirring occasionally.
7. Chop the kimchi and add it to the mixture, bring up the heat to medium.
8. Add the pat of butter.
9. In a separate bowl, whip two eggs.
10. In a separate pan, add 1/2 tbs of olive oil and then add the eggs. Scramble the eggs.
11. Turn the heat to low on the vegetable mixture.
12. Add the scrambled eggs, the white rice, the soy sauce, the sesame oil and the American cheese.
13. Optional: Add Sriracha and/or ketchup before serving.