Dubu kimchi (or sauteed kimchi with tofu) is a popular Korean dish that consists of sauteed kimchi served next to pan-fried tofu. This dish is a popular anju, which means it’s often consumed with alcohol, like soju. Usually you add pork to the kimchi portion but we’re going full vegetarian style in our recipe. Eaten together, the strong flavor of the kimchi is well balanced by the delicate taste of the tofu. Overall, it’s easy to make but it does require more than just a few ingredients. (You’ll need a few of them from your local Asian or Korean food market.) Now, let’s get started.
1. Add the olive oil and kimchi into a large pan. Heat on high for 2-3 minutes or till the kimchi gets softer.
2. Next, add the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and sugar. Mix up all the ingredients and heat on medium for 10 minutes.
3. While the kimchi mixture is cooking, slice up the tofu into medium size rectangles.
4. Put olive oil into a separate pan and pan-fry the tofu till the sides get light brown. About 3-5 minutes on each side. Set aside.
5. Back in the kimchi mixture, add in the deul gireum (or perilla oil), hondashi, gochugaru (or Korean chili flakes) and sesame seeds. You add these ingredients in later because a) the deul gireum could burn and b) for seasoning. Mix back on high and heat for 5 minutes.
2 cups aged kimchi (store bought)
2 tbsp olive oil (use 1 tbsp for kimchi, 1 tbsp for tofu)
1/2 cup sliced onion
1 sliced jalapeno
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp deul gireum (or perilla oil)
1/4 tsp hondashi
1/2 tsp gochugaru (or Korean chile flakes)
1 tsp sesame seeds
1. In a large pan, on high heat, add the olive oil and kimchi. Mix and heat for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the onions, jalapeno, garlic, and sugar. Mix everything together and then lower heat to medium and sautee for 10 minutes.
3. Slice up the tofu into rectangles.
4. In a separate frying pan, add olive oil and pan-fry the tofu until each side gets light brown. About 3-5 minutes on each side. Set aside.
5. Back in the kimchi dish, add the deul gireum (or perilla oil), hondashi, gochujang and sesame seeds. Mix everything together and heat back on high for 5 minutes.
6. Eat kimchi and tofu together.