I’m always looking for some good advice on how to live a more fulfilling life. Sometimes I got stressed out about making Skylar Yoo succeed or I get in a silly fight with Sam and I feel like the whole world is crashing down on me. How do I feel more centered? I found some good advice in this book by Timothy Ferriss called “Tribe of Mentors.” Here are 20 of my favorite quotes.
1. “Instead, Dani declared that courage was more important than confidence. When you are operating out of courage, you are saying that no matter how you feel about yourself or your opportunities or the outcome, you are going to take a risk and take a step toward what you want. You are not waiting for the confidence to mysteriously arrive. I now believe that confidence is achieved through repeated success at any endeavor. The more you practice doing something, the better you will get at it, and your confidence will grow over time.” – Debbie Millman
2. “All of us come with baggage and wounds and pain; all of us. But recognizing that common, human bond is what helps us transcend that pain.” – Soman Chainani
3. “Though most people will typically blame other people or circumstances in their life when they are unhappy, Buddhists believe that we are the cause of our own suffering. We can’t control the fact that bad things are going to happen, but it’s how we react to them that really matters, and that we can learn to control.” – Dustin Moskovitz
4. “‘The difference between winning and losing is most often not quitting.’ This famous line from Walt Disney on willpower cannot be more true when it comes to entrepreneurship. The only predictable thing about startups is their unpredictability, and powering through the lows of the startup roller coaster ultimately just takes grit – yours and your team’s.” – Max Levchin
5. Q: In the last five years, what new belief, behavior, or habit has most improved your life?
A: “Daily meditation, twice a day. Just giving my brain a chance to power the fuck down and refresh. Makes all the difference.” – Patton Oswalt
6. “If you are struggling to figure out where you are headed in life or what you are passionate about, pay attention to activities ideas and areas where you love the process, not just the results or the outcome. We are drawn to tasks where we can receive validation through results, but I’ve learned that true fulfillment comes from love of the process. Look for something where you love the process, and the results will follow.” – Amelia Boone
7. “‘BE HERE NOW’ (something I am constantly trying to do, though not always successfully). Because life is short, and we only have the current moment. Our memories are precious because they are the past, and future is not here now. As I get older, I am trying to life fully in moments with the people I love and care about.” – Ben Stiller
8. “When I was younger, it’s not like I was ‘ungrateful,’ but I never stopped to take the time to reflect on everything I had going for me. Now I do a gratitude practice every morning.” – Turia Pitt
9. “Every smart person and stable person I know both walks and meditates. The app Headspace is a fun way to start. Try and do it every day.” – Jimmy Fallon
10. “‘Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.’ – Henry Ford. That’s hands down my favorite quote of all time. My core values in life are positive mindset, focusing on your priorities, and being passionate and determined to reach your goals.” – Fedor Holz
11. “You are a person worthy of love. You don’t have to do anything to prove that. You do not have to earn love. You simply have to exist.” – Sharon Salzberg
12. “Embrace lifelong learning. Do something new. Physical exercise is repetitive; mental exercise is eclectic.” – Steve Jurvetson
13. “Studies tell us that spending that yields the greatest happiness is the kind that buys you time or experiences, not things.” – Sarah Elizabeth Lewis
14. “And it turns out there are some pretty simply buttons you can press to give yourself a great day. Start by waking up from a good sleep, eating good food, leaving your phone/newspaper/computer behind, and simply writing down your plan for what will make the day great. Several hours of physical activity, some hard work, a chance to laugh with and help out other people – and you’re pretty much there.” – Mr. Money Mustache
15. “I try to live in a space of bravery in every aspect of my life: creative, professional, familial, and in my friendships. Being brave means being present and willing to give of yourself regardless of result.” – Aisha Tyler
16. “Life is not designed to hand us success or satisfaction, but rather to present us with challenges that make us grow.” – Terry Laughlin
17. “Love the plateau. All worthwhile progress occurs through brief, thrilling leaps forward followed by long stretches during which you feel you’re going nowhere. Though it seems as if we’re making no progress, we are turning new behavior into habits.” – Terry Laughlin
18. Q: In the last five years, what new belief, behavior, or habit has most improved your life?
A: “Asking myself this question, ‘ When I’m old, how much would I be wiling to pay to travel back in time and relive the moment that I’m experiencing right now?’ If that moment is something like rocking my six-month-old daughter to sleep when she hugs me, then the answer is anything; I’d literally pay all the money I’d have in the bank at, say, age 70 to get a chance to relive that moment. This simple question just puts things in perspective and makes you grateful for the experience you’re having right now versus being lost in thoughts about the past or the future.” – Muneeb Ali
19. “Chances are, if you’re reaching books like this, you will succeed, but I’ve found that it all feels pretty meaningless if you’re not in some way helping people or improving humanity in some way. Instead of striving to be a CEO or an entrepreneur, strive to be a hero. We need more of those.” – Whitney Cummings
20. “Fear is a friend of exceptional people.” – Cus D’Amato
Read this book! It’s filled with incredibly inspirational quotes.