Ah, another year. Time to set some resolutions, right? Today, I thought I would write down some things I’d like to work on this year, both personally and professionally. It’s always nice to see your goals in writing so that you can reflect on them every so often. This year, I’d like to concentrate on being a good spouse, parent and photographer. So here goes:
1. Be more kind and attentive to my husband: With all the craziness that comes with having kids, it’s easy to forget how good of a spouse you have. This year I’m going to think about how I can make Sam happy. This means just making his life easier. When he’s stressed out with the kids, to give him a break. When he’s busy with work, to take care of the family.
2. To not scream or yell at the kids: Recently, during a fight between Parker and Logan, Parker attacked Logan’s face. I went completely ballistic, yelling at Parker for hurting his brother. I don’t want my child to live in fear. I wish I had given myself a few minutes to compose myself before I talked to Parker.
3. To take photographs every day: This one’s hard, especially because by the time I get home it’s too dark to take photographs outside. Even if it’s just on my iPhone, I want to capture more shots.
4. To photograph outside my comfort zone: I want to push myself to take photographs, not just of my sons, but of still life or landscapes. I want to find the genre that most interests me, one that I can imagine myself pursuing in the long run.
5. To watch videos on how to improve my photography skills a few times a week: Since (re-)discovering CreativeLive, I’m really enjoying learning more about photography. This year, I’d like to take what I’ve learned and apply it to my photography.
6. To find some one-on-one time with each kid: I think it’s because we all now sleep in the same room, but Logan has finally warmed up to me. (Yay!) This year, I’d like to spend some alone time with each kid. I think it’ll help strengthen my bond with each of them.
7. To take more trips: It’s easy to stay in but there’s something refreshing about exploring a new place. This year, I’d like to take some trips as just a couple or as a family. I think Logan’s now at that age where we can just pack up and go. (Hooray!)
8. To get more proficient at Photoshop: I taught myself Lightroom but Photoshop is its own beast. This year, I’d like to get really good at making/manipulating images in Photoshop.
9. To cook more for the kids: I’m lucky because I have a nanny who cooks, but it also makes me rely on her to come up with our family’s meals. I want to find more healthy dishes to feed to my kids.
10. To find the time to reconnect with friends: I’ve read that one of the biggest things that causes people to be happy is their relationships with other people. This year, I’m going to call my friends more, meet them up for lunch or dinner or just send a simple text or email.
What are some of your New Year’s resolutions?