How I’d love to have these glass leaves blowing like wind on my wall! Gorgeous work by Demetera Theeofanous. (Check out the detail shot, below. Amazing!)
Category: Art & Design
As a person who’s obsessed with lighting (see balloon lamp below), I knew I had to have this when I first spotted it on my favorite art blog, Colossal. (Shout out to Christopher Jobson for keeping Colossal so fresh and exciting.) I can’t wait to build this baby with my husband, name him, and then greet him every day and night.
I spotted this beautiful balloon lamp on Instagram and I immediately knew I had to have it. Sammy assembled it a few nights ago and set it up in our living room. Let me just tell you, people, that this thing is even more beautiful in person. It gives off the perfect amount of light! It’s playful and perfect. (The pictures don’t do it justice.)
As a lover of stained glass and trees, this beauty caught my eye. Anyone have $8K to spare? One day, if I ever design my own house, this will be in it.
You’ll have to excuse my long absence. Kat (now our Creative Director) and I have been so busy taking care of Skylar Yoo that I haven’t had a moment to catch my breath and blog here. But I’m back! I’ll still share some personal stories but, for now, I thought I’d just show you some fun products popping up on my radar. Some are fashion related while others are just fun things that I’ve bought, received or seen this past month.
Favorite home item: This flower vase comes to life when you put in a leaf! How clever and cute. Not available for sale on Ha’s website. Darn! (Above)
Favorite kitchen item: These adorable cardinal glasses just got back in stock. In love with their design.
Favorite fashion item: I like fashion that’s funky or shiny. This New Balance vest is both “cool” and warm. Wish the zipper zipped all the way down but it’s still a fun staple.
Favorite jewelry: My sister-in-law and brother-in-law bought me this super gorgeous rainbow choker for my birthday! How lucky am I? It’s made of rainbow Swarovski crystals. So stunning. I’m going to pass this down to my niece one day. Every little girl who has seen me wearing it comments on how much she likes it. I LOVE IT!
Favorite purse: You know how much I love Gucci and how much I love rainbows, so it should come as no surprise that I fell in love with this. It’s made for younger girls but I’m going to rock it anyway.
Favorite shoes: Speaking of Gucci, I bought these beauties, justifying it that they’re now my classic, go-to shoes. They’re super comfortable and they go with practically everything. I like how you wouldn’t know it was Gucci unless you knew their colors.
Also loving these new Tom’s glitter flats. Bought a pair for me and my niece.
Favorite drinks: I can’t find the link for this online. You’ll have to visit your nearest Trader Joe’s to find it. (It’ll be worth it!) It’s Trader Joe’s own organic cold pressed fuji apple spiced cider with cinnamon and clove. Delicious and refreshing!
OMG, I’m addicted to this. Thank you Amazon for carrying it, and for the easy one-click shopping button.
Favorite new toys: Because I had a crappy childhood, I decided that I’d recreate it by buying myself some toys. Hence, I’ve ordered or have: This My Little Pony, a Princess tent (that has stars!), Moana Maui’s magical fish hook and this Frozen Elsa doll that sings and lights up.
Best investment I made recently: Joining Seth Godin’s The Bootstrapper’s Workshop. Fantastic forum for budding entrepreneurs. Everyone is so caring and smart!
See you soon!
God has blessed me with two amazing young boys but I often think about what life would be like if I had had a daughter. As you know, Skylar is the name I would have chosen for her. I wrote this letter to this fictitious daughter. One day it will come alive as a video. Until then, here it is. For all you mothers out there with daughters, I hope it inspires you to want to write a letter to your daughter (or son), as well.
If there’s just one thing you take away from this letter, may it be that you you are deserving of love. You are loved for the the little baby that you are and for the grown woman you will one day be. You are worthy.
It may be hard to imagine it but because you are born a girl you still do not have equal rights as men. Strong and determined women worked hard for the rights you currently have. Remember, we stand on the shoulders of those women who came before us.
I write to you during a time of turmoil. In this given moment, the country is divided and we even question our leader’s morality. Yet, out of this darkness is a growing movement, a revolution, of women rising, their silenced voices are now finally being heard.
What do I wish for you, my sweet darling? What words do I want to impart? Dream big and then dream even bigger. Never apologize for being who you are. Stand tall, believe in yourself, and trust your gut. Take risks. Enjoy the journey. Be your own best friend. Embrace lifelong learning. Don’t be afraid to be smart or to speak your mind or to be too ambitious. Have grit – value both passion and perseverance. When you face tough times, remember, that experience is teaching you resilience. Be kind to yourself and celebrate who you are. And finally, be bold. Find out what makes you happy and then relentlessly pursue it.
You, my dear, will be unstoppable. Oh, fearless girl, may you create a life you love.
I love you forever,
Pic by RoseHillDesignStudio
I just finished the book Tribe of Mentors by Timothy Ferriss and came away from it feeling inspired. In the book, Ferriss asks the same eleven questions to some of the most accomplished people in the world. The recipients choose their favorite three to five to answer, “or more, if the spirit moves you,” he states. My next blog post will be about 20 of my favorite quotes from the book but today I’d like to expand on one particular quote that spoke to my heart. It was so simple yet so deeply personal. When asked, “If you could have a gigantic billboard anywhere, what would it say, and why?”
Raabbi Lord Jonathan Sacks, a religious leader, philosopher and award-winning author stated: “Live, Give. Forgive.” I changed this to “Live, Love, Give, Forgive.”
Let’s break it down.
“Live”: Live in the present moment. Be here now. Practice mindfulness. Meditate. Celebrate each and every day.
“Love”: Connect with others. Trust people. Show compassion to yourself. Be grateful for the loved ones in your life – your family and your friends.
“Give”: Give generously of your time and money. Give but don’t expect anything in return.
“Forgive”: Let go of the pain in the past. Forgive others so that you can move on and be happier.
On the subject of “love”: I listened to the Perfect Duet by Ed Sheeran and Beyonce today. I started tearing up when Beyonce sang. It reminded me of my husband.
“Well, I found a man
Stronger than anyone I know
He shares my dreams
I hope that someday we’ll share a home
I found a love
To carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children
Of our own
We are still kids, but we’re so in love
Fightin’ against all odds
I know we’ll be alright this time
Darling, just hold my hand
Be your girl, you’ll be my man
And I see my future in your eyes.”
Beautiful, isn’t it?
Hello, all! Yes, I’m back after a long hiatus. I’ve been busy working on Skylar Yoo, it take a lot to start up a whole new company. Sorry if I’ve been neglecting this blog, I feel like I have so much to write about now. I’ll start out with just sharing ten of my favorite things – from books to beauty products.
1. The Go-Giver, Expanded Edition: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea: This short story gives you some heartfelt lessons on business and life in general. It outlines five laws for stratospheric success. I love the concept of giving without asking for anything in return. Here’s a good quote: “Watch out for the other guy. Watch out for his interests. Watch his back. Forget about fifty-fifty, son. Fifty-fifty’s a losing proposition. The only winning proposition is one hundred percent. Make your win about the other person, go after what he wants. Forget win-win – focus on the other person’s win.”
This, too: “You give, give, give. Why?…Because you love to. It’s not a strategy, it’s a way of life.”
2. Rihanna’s Red Lip Paint, “Stunna“: I’ve always admired a woman who can carry off bold red lips. It’s hard to find the perfect shade, you get me, girls?! That’s why when I finally tried Rihanna’s brand Fenty Beauty’s “Uncensored” I was extremely happy! Unlike a lot of glosses and lipsticks these days that are totally drying, this one is less so. It stays on for hours and it’s a universally great shade of red. (See Rihanna in it, above.) Give it a go! You won’t regret it. (I’m now onto trying her metallic hot pink lipstick and her glitter eyeliner in blue.
3. Thick Classic Notebook with Pen Loop – Lemome A5 Wide Ruled Hardcover Writing Notebook with Pocket + Page Dividers Gifts, Banded, Large, 180 Pages, 8.4 x 5.7 in – Lately, I’ve been waking up early to journal. It’s a great, refreshing way to start the day (or end it). There’s tons of notebooks out there but this one spoke to me because it’s timeless, it’s not too bulky or too thin, and it has this handy pen loop so you’ll never lose your pen again. I’ll still collect my notebooks, but for my journals, I think I’ll stick to this one.
4. iPhone X: I recently received my iPhone X and can’t say enough how much I love it. I used to have the iPhone 6+ and that was a giant compared to this. The X is the perfect size, it’s not too heavy and I can use it with one hand. I love the the edge to edge OLED screen, how fast it is and, most importantly, Face ID. It’s weird not having a real, touchable home button but you get used to it. Good job, Apple, on making me fall in love with Apple again! (Speaking of which, I love my AirPods, too!)
5. Bandolino ballet flats in gold: I try to avoid heels whenever I can so when I see a good pair of flats I snatch them up. These gold ones, by Bandolino, are shimmery and cute. They don’t have a lot of support at the bottom, but they’re not for hiking a hill, they’re more for casual work wear. Lord & Taylor’s having a good sale on them right now!
6. Pentel EnerGel Deluxe RTX Retractable Liquid Gel Pen,0.7mm, Fine Line, Metal Tip, Blue Ink-Value set of 5 (With Our Shop Original Product Description): This is by far the best pen I’ve ever used. It’s just so smooth and the the way it grips makes it feel so natural. I want 1000 of these. Speaking of pens, I use Kyinflose Pens, Smooth Gel Ink Roller Ball Pens, Fine Point, Black, 12-Pack (0.5mm) this black one for my journaling. Love it, too.
7. Baebody Eye Gel for Dark Circles, Puffiness, Wrinkles and Bags – The Most Effective Anti-Aging Eye Gel for Under and Around Eyes – 1.7 fl. oz.: Now that I’m past 40, I need me some eye cream. I checked Amazon and this one was far and away the best seller. Tried it on and loved it! It feels gel-like at first but then quickly absorbs into the skin. I used to suffer from dryness around my eyes but that’s all been cured.
8. Iconic Eyelashes at House of Lashes: These are my go-to eyelashes. They’re super full, I wear them daily, but you may want to save them for a special night out. House of Lashes has good eyelash glue, too.
9. Pink faux fur coat from Zara: This is one of my favorite coats right now. (I’ve started a small collection.) It’s super fluffy and warm. Who doesn’t love this color, too? It’s not too baby pink or too bright pink.
10. Today Matters: 12 Daily Practices to Guarantee Tomorrow’s Success (Maxwell, John C.) – This is kind of an older book (2005) but it still has a lot of valuable life lessons. Maxwell is a pastor so there are some references to God but overall you can learn a lot of what you can do today to be successful tomorrow. He includes a ton of quotes in this book so if that’s your jam, you’re going to love this. He narrows down the areas for critical success to 12 or what he calls the “”Daily Dozen.” This includes having a positive attitude, sticking to priorities and investing in good relationships. Solid.
A new Audrey Kawasaki print, called Repose, was released on Friday. Snatch it up before it’s gone! (Only edition of 500.)
I love a good art print, especially if the money raised by it is going to a good cause. This one touched my heart. Called “I Love You California,” 100% of of their online sales goes to helping support the relief efforts for those affected by the California wildfires. $100,000 has already been raised. Cool thing is that Dave Pell of Next Draft will match whatever they raise this week. I bought this floral one. NorCal, we here in SoCal are thinking about you! (This red leaf one is pretty, too.)